Duke Marine Lab
The Duke Marine Lab is located in Beaufort, North Carolina. Students at the marine lab live in large dormitory style rooms. At East, there is a rumor that a Marine Lab student once attended a term and spilled much information about the little-known campus (though the facts, unfortunately, are long since forgotten). However, the phrase "It isn't really TIP" remain immortalized in the minds of East students forever.
It's not a rumor. I was at the marine lab when I was a second year, and then went to East Term II 2006 as a third year. The Marine Lab is notably different from other campuses for a number of reasons. It is much smaller than most, despite accepting both Academy and Center applicants, and usually has less than 100 students. In recent years, only three courses have been offered with two sections of two courses, making 5 classes in all. American Pie, while still heard at every dance, is played next-to-last, with Don't Stop Believin' immediately following it. In the 2018 term, Our Song, Time Warp, Iris, and It’s the End of the World as We Know It were also added as tradition songs. Fourth years cannot leave the island during free time, but they still keep most of their other privileges (orange lanyards, wills, staying up the last night, etc). Knockout (also known as Lightning) and Frisbee share the award for Most TIPster Sport. Dances are not held in the quad but inside the auditorium, which is spacious enough to fit all 60-70 TIPsters. Antisocial campers and those affected by noise are allowed to hang in the hallway or in the presentation room, but RCs have been known to stop the music to try and get them to come in and be social. RCs have tried to herd them into the auditorium as well, especially for the last two songs.
The Marine Lab has six dorms which are referenced by number. Dorm 5 is the only dorm that is large enough to have two RAGs in it, which are referenced as 5 East and 5 West. The dorms are only one story and each room has three bed (but not necessarily three TIPsters). They are also air-conditioned. As of 2013, Dorm 5 has been closed to TIPsters and now houses undergrad and grad students who take courses at the Marine Lab; however, to compensate Dorm 6 has been created and houses two RC groups. And in 2014 half the camp (32 girls) were housed in Dorm 6. Which resulted in there being two 6 girl rooms (one being all the fourth year girls) and two 9 girl rooms. Most Tipsters hang out on the porches of their dorm, but D6 doesn’t have a porch because of the lab in the back. These girls have to adopt a porch, The Maggie Bench, or deal with their “side porch” which is a ramp to the side entrance. The marine lab has only one term, which starts a week after Term 1 at other campuses.
The campus boundaries enclose an area as large as the East campus, despite having less than half the number of TIPsters (between 50 and 150), most of which is outdoors. Amazingly (HELP ME), we are actually allowed to climb trees there (in recent years this statement has been proved false as many a tipster have been yelled at for rescuing frisbees). There is only one laundry room behind Dorm 3 that is used as both a laundry room and as a common room. The visitation policy is that we aren't allowed in opposite sex rooms. Also, TIPsters don't use keys at all because everything is unlocked (unless someone is changing).
Quadfest, known as Festuary, is noticeably different at the Marine Lab. Every RAG competes on its own team and each TIPster and RC has a shirt to decorate for Festuary. The RAG's choose themes, such as "Rock Star Pirates", “Moby Thicccs”, or "Air Dorm" to be known by instead of having colors (no longer true as of 2017 and on). Festuary starts with having the teams break up into pairs and rotate through several different bathrooms and small events like making tinfoil boats to hold weight or sliding down a soapy piece of plastic to knock over pins. Later, the RAG reunites for the kinds of events found on East campus. The only events that were exactly the same were the Boat Race and the Cheer. (This information is now outdated- It is now called Festuary)
The second week is Spirit Week which leads up to TIPsync. There have been days such as Twin Day, 'Merica Monday (despite Fourth of July being the next week), Tropical Tuesday, Wacky Tacky Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and certain color days such as Green Day or Pink Day.
There are also no places off-campus that fourth-years can walk to in their free time. The classes go on multiple field trips while at the lab. Some actual field work trips consist of the research pond, the mudflats, and Carrot Island as well as Harkers Island, Sand Dollar Island, The Rachel Carson Reserve, and Middle Marsh (there are others but they’re all roughly the same). Tipsters also take class field trips to museums and places such as the local Maritime Museum, the Sound Core Museum, the Newport Aquarium, and Cape Lookout. The all day field trips are always the best and you usually go to the aquarium on that day. Another really cool all morning field trip is the dredge and trawl. In the 2018 term, multiple classes pulled up stingrays, sharks, and even a pufferfish! There are lots of smaller boat trips, too, such as one which goes up Newport River to collect different water samples.
Because of the small population, the termbook has two pages for every RAG and class. ~Anna
Sneaking out at duml
Only a fool would sneak out at duml but if you would want too here is some advice from one fool to another
1. know where Admin and RCs patrol,they usually patrol until 2 so by 2:30 they are off the quad and security doesn’t patrol till 5
2. Know where, when and who you are meeting up with make sure you have a specified place ( behind volley ball court, boat house)
3. Be nice to the security guards throughout camp who knows when your kindness will come in handy of getting out of an awkward situation (worked before but be aware the security guard will have to tell one member of staff like the chillest RC just for safety reasons just know your RCs)
4. Have blue lanyards: from borrowing them from the office to having one of the cool RCs getting you one these come in handy if you are found by a security guard and they want to know if you are allowed to be out at that hour.
5. The last night is usually hectic and a hard time to sneak out. Take it as a challenge but don't ever run from an RC or admin.
6. Make sure to be safe and don't do anything illegal or stupid because then you will ruin it for the future years.
THE GREAT ROOF HIDEOUT of 2006
This happened on the middle of the term on Rut AKA the 10 P.M. Nazi's Rag. About eight of the twelve members of the Rag decided that they would go on the top of the roof to look at the stars. After they were there for several hours, one of the RCs spotted them. Four of the eight were able to get back into the rooms without getting caught, but one of them were caught. The other three jumped off of the roof and began to play hide and seek with the RCs. Meanwhile, several RCs came inside Rut's hall to find the four that were able to get in, but they were unsuccessful. Instead, they rudely woke up the four that were sleeping while this was going on. Eventually, they were caught when most of the staff of the Marine Lab was summoned to capture the fugitives. The four people that were caught had to call their parents. However, their parents seemed rather proud of their sons, not angry at all. ~Seokmin
Actually, they have "Festuary" NOT quadfest, and in '07, everybody was divided into groups randomly, with Yellow, Blue, Red, and Green teams. At the marine lab, only 4th years are permitted to stay awake all night the last night, and in '07 the fourth year girls lost this privelege after a shaving-cream battle on the quad that resulted in the destruction of the OSC's laptop computer. This sucked, as the two fourth year guys had to stay up by themselves. The marine lab is no where near as awesome as TIP East, despite air conditioning and beaches. (um yea about that you mean to say duke marine lab is the best campus out of all of them .... this is coming from the people who had to be evacuated from DUML because of hurricane Arthur and almost died because they missed it so much)
The Truth About the Marine Lab
The marine lab is known for its triple high bunk beds and the awesome field trips to the beach! The year 2009 was probably the best year there, when the RC's were cool and tipsters were actually allowed to SWIM in the ocean. (apparently some kid almost drowned in a rip current....so in 2010 the staff was uber strict and we could only go in up to our knees). Tipsters went on a field trip almost every day to various beaches (Fort Macon, Pine Knoll Shores, Shackleford Banks, Emerald Isle), dredging and trawling on the Susan Hudson, or to the awesome aquarium!
Memories are short though - swimming in the ocean will likely return again. Back in the early 90s, trips to the beach were halted (for at least one year) after two female TIPsters inadvertently nearly entered a bikini contest. Who knew you had to be 18 to enter??
The best hang out spot in 2009 was the laundry room, where one tipster popped a bag of popcorn in the dryer (yes it is possible), while another tipster was shoved into another dryer. However, as a result of these actions, in 2010 access to the laundry room was severely restricted and monitored, leading to tipsters being forced to wear smelly, dirty clothing. ( in 2014 access to the laundry room whenever you wanted was granted again!!!!!)
Dorm 5 was probably the best dorm ever, due to the face that it was coed in 2009. Although there was tape everywhere dividing male and female boundaries, dorm 5 tipsters still managed their mischief.
The dances were complete grindfests, until Juan showed up in 2010 with his squirt gun and sprayed anything that didn't look TIPpropriate. Also, in 2014, the RC Sean went around during the song "Talk Dirty To Me" screaming "TALK CLEAN TO ME"
As of 2011, Dorm 5 had tents, sleeping bags, and an inflatable snowman(among other things) in the out-of-bounds attic.(the world may never know what the Dorm 5 attic contains ever again for it has been turned into the dorm where TAs instructors and students studying over the summer bunk):(
The Evacuation of 2014
In 2014, Hurricane Arthur struck the east coast, forcing all of the Tipsters at the Marine lab to evacuate inland to Duke East. Many were quite upset with this change, but some were excited with the new scenery. The chaos of everyone trying to do laundry the night before was awful, and resulted in the dryers literally just making clothes very damp instead of dry. The ensuing three hour bus ride was quite boring, although it was just another chance for us to bond. The RC groups were split up into different buses: David, Hannah, and Jordans RC groups in one bus (This bus contained just about every couple at the Marine lab, so much cuddling was going on) and Christine, Sean, and Shannon's group on another bus. Although Tipsters did not get to finish their term at the Marine Lab, we managed to make the best of it. When we arrived, we were greeted by very strange looking RCs at Duke East and a news crew filming us like we were refuugees (Credit to Liam for getting in almost every camera shot and acting really dumb)http://abc11.com/weather/hurricane-arthur-forces-evacuations-of-summer-camps/153586/ =video link. Quoting the great RC David: "It be like that sometimes"
The Ghost of Dorm 6
The ghost of dorm 6 made a large appearance in the recent years, specifically during the witching hour, when the haunting is believed to be more severe.The ghost constantly opened doors at night, terrifying the residents of the dorm. Many times a night the sleepy kids would have to get up to close their doors, even after having sworn they locked them. One night two girls, Sam and Beth. were on the top bunk, discussing their belief in ghosts and the supernatural. After confessing she believed in them, Sam felt something grab her foot even though they were on the top bunk and no one was awake beneath them. One time a camper named Miriam was in her room during free time and she closed the door behind her. She swears that the handle turned all the way and the door opened. After a thorough inspection she concluded that there was nobody else in the dorm at the time who could've opened the door. Although this could've been the work of faulty locks, doors constantly locked at the most inconvenient times, leaving tipsters without phones or marsh shoes for hours on end. During the summer of 2019 at DUML, campers Camilo, Grayson, Cooper, Jack, and Zach all accounted that their door would not close at all, unless with use of considerable force that would wake the whole dorm, another possible occurrence of the ghost.
- The iconic beach Thot knot
- Cheeseballs vs. Denise war
- Stealing sea urchins from protected waters
- The (somewhat accidental) genocide of Emily's brittle stars and The boy's crab army
- The mass flocking of hundreds of origami birds due to the Seek n' Snap
- The tragic day of fourth of July when a phone fell into the estuary, RIP
- Dorm 6 Emily orange (Emily Hutchins) and Emily blue (Emily Lewis) sneaking the RCs snow cone syrup with Schuyler from waterpalooza, then proceeding to give away free shots in both red and green
- "Real life talks with -----" Featuring How to: use Tinder and Kik, Which drugs you can safely take, and how to eat Thai food correctly.
- Captain Carla and the Trash heros.
- LEmily HEmily and FEmily
- Carla the RC forgettting to give Dominos $60 for pizza when $80 was the total
- The sad slides on the barrier islands where nearly all of Estuaries and Marshes lost their lives due to the high slopes
- That one recomended Jelsa wattpad story, never read it (do)
- The widespread BDSM test
- XXXXXL DUML sweatshirts
- The -cough- ... boxes in the boy's dorm bathrooms
- Glutain free, VEGAN chicken nuggets????????
- Dorm 6's very own German Stripper 'Do not disturb' door sign
(WARNING: not all are TIPpropriate)
- dorm 6 tipSYNC- 'Don't be a brad, be a chad. Ey, chad. Wheres chad? idk chad. Darn we need chad. Calm down chad. They're all brads chads.
- -About to fall off the rocks in the reef so Jesse grabs Emily's arm- "No homo bro" - Jesse
- "100% deet that’s like cancer in a bottle" -Miles
- "I did the wrong dog" -Kyle
- "We aren’t focusing on the real problem here... the scientists are practicing dark magic" -Kyle
- "I can behave in a snappy and grumpy manner sometimes, it’s not personal" -Shannon
- "What’s a twerk" -Shannon
- "This is the first time I’ve been proud of something I’ve done in a while and that is holding a 15 minute conversation about a world ruled by pink" -Anthony Mark Cochran
- "This is all head" -the scientist in a sperm whale necropsy
- "What is that brown on my skin" -Shannon about her minor suntan
- "YEAH WHOOOO" -Conner
- Credit or debit *dabs* -Nathan
- (screaming in dorm) (Tyler sprints in) (Tyler comes out) "They’re just playing Mario Kart" -Tyler the legendary RC
- (Ethan not talking) Rodney(the OSD): "what’s wrong?" (Ethan not talking) Rodney: "Ethan, why aren’t you talking?" (Ethan not talking) Rodney: "Connor, what’s wrong with Ethan" Connor:"...I am Groot"
- “It’s like elongated muskrat you whore” -Kyle
- “There’s something about your facial structure that makes you look depressed” -Chris to Andrew
- “I did the wrong dog” -Kyle
- “I need off!!” -Connor with a pillow over his head
- “Tyler, why’re you wearing ur boxers?.. oh those are just weird shorts” -Kyle
- "Oh it’s shit as hot" -Kyle
- “Yeet is the fetus-Karl Marx” -Ethan in kyle’s journal
- "Oh shoot it’s s squirtle, oh shoot it’s a mini dinosaur" -Kyle
- "I didn’t flex hard enough" -Connor
- "When you flexed, like no homo, but yes homo" -Chris
- "Augie if you say yeet one more time I will take away your free time" -Erin
- "Back at it again with the broken rib" -Beth
- "I don’t need a relationTIP, I have a relationship" (runs into door) -Katrina
- "That’s not a dog that’s a fucking bear" -Katrina
- "So I looked up how much fiddler crabs cost and these bitches are $10 for a hundred" -Erin
- "Have fun with your hospital bills, in 50 years, ma’am" -Erin
- "Warlocks are enemies of god" -lady in Jesus Camp
- "Feels bad man, my cheese is disproportionate" -Justin
- "That represents dirty thoughts (thots)" -Jesus camp
- "Come on it has to squeak" -Jesus camp
- "Smell it you can smell the cancer" -Miles
- (Removes lettuce from sandwich) "I am eating a turkey sandwich with no vegetables, I am not a rabbit" -Kyle
- "Aw frick, I hope my pop tarts don’t get ruined cuz my water bottle spilled" (other people laughing) "hey don’t talk down on the pop tarts" -Kyle
- "Is his head so big because he has a big and smart brain" -Kyle about one of the slides in Kanyalysis
- "Kanye’s really smart" (Tyler applauses) -Kyle
- "Turn your hat around, please" -Kyle to Anthony "Don’t give in to those who are lesser to you" -Michael
- "Don’t do drugs kids this is what happens when you do crack" -Patrick about Lift Yourself at Kanyanalysis
- "What is all this modern noise" -Shannon
- (an unnamed person talking about shoplifting from the aquarium) "I don’t have the balls for shit like that so I just do stupid shit like drop chairs off the third bunk" -Chris
- "Why do peepee come out of my bootyhole?" -Kyle was the original but Anthony
- "Morning yoga was the worst experience of my life" -Anthony
- "Hannah, ur name sounds like henna" *sounds like his mind has been genuinely blown* -Kyle
- Someone: "man you just need some boobs and you’d look like a real girl" Andrew: "what do you mean?" Someone: "I mean you’re flat" Andrew: "just like every girl on the island"
- "ANA STASS EE AH"-Connor
- "Katrina go get the Japanese elephant cocaine so we can snort it before we leave" -Sabrina
- "Is it the witching hour?" -charlotte and sabrina every 5 minutes --at 1am
- “My RC left the door open and I got sexually assaulted” -Beth
- "shout out to my mom- I love you" -Nathan at the end of his group research project in acknowledgments
- "Hurricane Katrinaaa? more like hurricane tortilla" -everyone the first time they heard Katrina's name
- "I look like a fuckin yeti" -Kyle after using Katiebelle's sunscreen
- (Ashley stops to interrupt someone talking in the morning discussion) "Katrina why are you eating a lemon right now?"
- ”We don’t have the hennnna because it flew away with emmmma”- Miles, Kyle, and Beth high in the airport off of no sleep
- ”It’s party size not Charlotte size”- Nathan talking about the chip bag hogged by Charlotte
- ”I’m exhaustteeeeddddd. I’m tired of being in the back”- Shannon after walking 100 m
- ”second years are hoooot”- literally everyone but 2nd years
- ”Something’s happening in the sky”- Augie looking at the air show
- ”How many pop tarts do you have in your bag, Jesse?- Beth “A lot of pop tarts”- Jesse
- Ashley- "what's your dream job" Shannon-"Well, ideally, a dragon rider but that's not possible"
- Ashley- “what’s your dream job?” Miles- “Ski patrol”
- ”It’s better than we eat at TIP”- Charlotte talking about the soldiers rations at Ft. Macon
- (in tears) “I WANT TO BE A STARFISH!!” - Jayden
- (on the last night of term) “I cant get them to stop crying and go to bed!!” - Kerrigan (leader of the lettuce eating hedgehogs)
- ”I think Jenny is the mafia....she’s always the mafia” - Emily
- ”ITS POKE-AN-AVA-DAY!! (Ava is pronounced as it is said in the word AVAcodo)”-Emily
- ”can I permanently borrow some food?”- Ava
- ”STUARRRTTTTTT”- Charlotte
- ”Let’s take a RC Group off-campus night to drive to Nashville and kill Stuart!”- Beth “
“YEAH!!!!!!!”- rest of RAG
Kanyalysis was a night activity led by the RC Tyler where TIPsters went through a power point and analyzed songs by Kanye West. MEny heated discussions occurred over the relevance of a certain lyric to Kanye's life at the time of writing it. The greatest moment of all of Kanyalysis was when Chris explained the lyrics to the last verse of Lift Yourself.
(Tyler, if you're seeing this, sorry that Kanyalysis was spelled wring every time. I love you DriftDad.)
- "Is his head so big because he has a big and smart brain" -Kyle about one of the slides in Kanyalysis
- "Kanye’s really smart" (Tyler applauses) -Kyle
- "Turn your hat around, please" -Kyle to Anthony "Don’t give in to those who are lesser to you" -Michael
- "Don’t do drugs kids this is what happens when you do crack" -Patrick about Lift Yourself at Kanyanalysis
The Office Drinking Game
The Office Drinking Game was a drinking game played with water because hydrate before you diedrate ya know. Charlotte and Beth started the game at DUML after Beth stumbled on the post on Instagram. The campus already loved the show so it was agreed the game would commence during free time. The rules were simple: there was a list of commands to take a shot out of your water bottle or paper cup stolen from the water coolers up by the dining hall when the certain phrase or action was done (commands listed below). The game was commonly played on porches and many Tipsters would come join as the episode progressed. The best episodes to be used are episodes in earlier seasons as all the original cast is there and the commands are used more frequently. The game was only played a few times because of limited free time but when it was played it was legendary. At least two water bottles would be drunk per person and breaks would have to be taken for a select few to spring across the quad to D6 as they had the only water fountain on campus. It should be noted if you play this game you will receive weird looks but just smile and tell RC’s and staff it’s just water. Also, you might have to pee a lot from all the water consumed at one time.
- 1: When Pam says, “Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam”
- 2: Jim looks into the camera when NOT being interviewed
- 3: Anyone says, “That’s what she said”
- 4: Angela mentions her cats
- 5: Kelly says, “OMG”
- 6: Michael expresses his hate 4 Toby
- 7: When Pam and Jim share a “swoony” moment (all moments are swoony moments)
- 8: Every “Assisstant to the Regional Manager” reference
- 9: Michael tries to impersonate someone
- 10: When someone starts a question with, “Question”
- 11: Michael gathers everyone into the conference room
Relationtips were beginning and thriving in the third week of tip, but there was a specific person who had a hard time expressing his feelings to the special lady using words, so instead he used a song... Charlotte Boyd and this aspiring songwriter had been friends from the year before, but Charlotte never knew the feelings he had for her until he had written and sung "Monorail" at the talent show and dedicated it to her. It was said that if you replaced the word Monorail with the name Charlotte everytime it was said in the song, it would be a love song. You can't take this too literally though, as some of the lyrics are "Monorail I'll ride you" which doesn't mean what you think it does.
The song was resung at the talent show in 2019 by the same guy (and two others for help) to the same girl but we all know it was a joke and it was just for good memories and laughs.
Golden hour on the island is gorgeous, and almost everyone has a picture during it. One evening the Dorm 1 boys allowed the Dorm 6 girls to put makeup on them for golden hour. The girls worked tirelessly to prepare the boys for golden hour so they could look snatched for picture taking. Rebecca's makeup was sacrificed for the greater good, and Charlotte, Sabrina, Beth, Katrina, Rebecca, and Hannah did Nathan, Miles, and Bens makeup. The boys ran out of time, and the girls ran out of makeup wipes, so they had to wear the makeup to the activity that night, which was states night. The girls of D6 (specifically Erin's RC) was always late to dances because they were capturing the golden hour moments on the docks.
Kentucky at DUML
At DUML, many states are represented but in the 2018 term at DUML many people were very comfused about the concept of Kentucky being an actual state where people did normal things. Only 4 Kentuckians we’re representing the state that year: Charlotte, Beth, Will (also known as Willard), and Shannon. Shannon basically didn’t even count as a Kentuckian as she did not have an accent and never did anything even remotely country (nobody even knew where she lived till after TIP). Beth and Charlotte tried to defend their beloved, beautiful bluegrass state from all the hatred that came it’s way, but it was a tough job, The biggest hater towards the state was Connor closely followed by Andrew who led the chant of “Kentucky sucks” as a picture was taken during a field trip: Many people were confused on the fact that Kentuckians did normal, every day things in Kentucky as everyone else does in every other state. Questions were asked like, “What do you guys do for fun?” and “Is there even anything in Kentucky?” and while there aren’t many cities we have our fair share of attractions but most are centered around Lexington or Louisville. Shannon made it clear to her class though that there were two types of Kentucky: coal Kentucky and horse Kentucky. Everyone at the campus that year were representatives of horse Kentucky so no one got to experience the Turtle Man side of the state. Charlotte and Beth tried to build on the hate of the state by making light of it by wearing overalls for twin day which made many people especially Connor sigh in exasperation of the act. Willard was not as emotionally attached to the state itself but the team, the Kentucky Wildcats (GO UK). He always wore his Kentucky hat and multiple shirts and shorts all the time. When a comment was made by Charlotte about the sadness of not knowingly Willard was coming so he could’ve twinned with the girls in their overalls he replied with a hard no. When asked why by the two girls he simply stated, “I want to represent my state well.” Andrew even left in his will Kentucky pride to Willard because he didn’t have any. Steps are still being taken by the two girls to convince Tipsters Kentucky is not a hillbilly state and is truly beautiful. Connor will come to the state one day and see for himself we have lakes bigger than his puny ponds!!!
The Babe Hat
The iconic tradition all began when 7 wore a denim hat with the word 'Babe' in huge sequins the first day of term and class. When asked how he came by the hat he said, "I saw it at Five Below and couldn't resist." A new religion was born. The Oceanography class was sitting on D3's porch in the time after lunch-before class all talking when somehow The Babe Hat was brought up. Somebody came up with a joke of "wouldn't it be funny if one person from our class everyday got to wear The Babe Hat and it was like Babe of the Day hahaha?" The rest was history from that moment. 7 became the Bope (Babe Pope) due to the fact he brought the iconic hat and was also of course the very first Babe of the Day. Every night a new Babe of the Day was elected at evening study and the qualifications were to be a fourth year, admin, or in the Oceanography class (although there was one exception of Eleanor, a third year, in the last week). One could earn the hat by doing something notable the day before such as starting a conversation on climate change or simply being an absolute babe. Rodney (OSD) was the most notable of Babes of the Day.
The first elected Babe of the Day was a very country guy named mason because the class thought it would be funny to see him in the hat. He accepted but set the bar very low as he only kept it on his person (as the rules state) and actually wore it maybe 12% of the day. From then on there was a new Babe of the Day everyday and the hat carried status. When one walked around with the hat on many congratulations and privileges were given to make up for the lack of 4th year privileges.
The Bapacy didn't come without its opposition, however. There was one person as a forerunner of the Hotestant Reformation (bc Babe). Ben led the Reformation because he pulled up the aquarium in some short Chubbies and did not get The Babe Hat and was devastated (he still wasn't eligible). Ben led with 'Bope down' buttons and his own version of the 95 Theses paper. He also created a hand sign for the movement which included making a 'b' with the left hand and a downwards 'b'/arrow sign with the right. Ben had to make some tough decisions when his 'little brother' Zach was given the title of the Bope (8) after the reading of the wills when 7/ The Bope willed him the title.
- "Why are you a burrito?" -Kevin
- "I have an IQ of 6. I know what I'm doing." -Willard
- "You can catch a lot of flies with honey, but you can watch even more honeys with fly. (smile) WAIT NO!"-Ben
- "Everyone thinks I'm Hispanic." -Diego
- "I got my fishing license in today, but I can't fish." -Mason
- "If you
- "thicc thighs save lives, and crush watermelons"- Doc smith
- ”Then George said “John’s wife”.” - Ben like a million times
- ”I smell pennies...” (screaming follows) -Cori
- (puts hand on shoulder) “Ya like jazz?” -Cursed Images Cult
- ”Where’s the money Lebowski?” -Drew
- ”We’re putting ___ in m&m’s” -Abby
- ”Cabetsu, cabetsu, cabetsu; LETASU, LETASU, LETASUUU” -Cursed Images Cult (Mari)
- ”Beijing huan ying ni!” -Sophia
Fire Alarm Fiasco
It was about 6 in the morning when the girls of Dorm 2 first heard the screeching noise erupting from the hallway. Not knowing what it was they shook their roommates awake and stumbled into the dim dawn outside. A huddled group of girls from Dorm 3 were already waiting on the Quad. From their dorm sounded the the familiar blaring of a fire alarm. Although the girls first believed RC Sara to have disappeared during the hectic morning, she had actually been monitoring the situation from inside where the cause of the alarm was yet to be found. Not long after, 3 fire trucks pulled into the camp and parked on the dewy grass of the Quad. Security guard Z and fire men scoped the two dorms coming to the conclusion that the cause of the morning madness was due to the bathroom door being closed as three girls took hot showers and the steam hence caused the alarm to go off . As the fireman came out of the dorm he yelled, “Who was taking a shower?” at the D3 girl’s. A few girls were in only towels. Thus triggering Dorm 2’s alarm to take effect as well. Even with the professional opinions of both the firemen and Z some of the girls still believe that the screeching noise was due to paranormal activity first noted a few days earlier.
Last night Dorm 2 Stake out (with RC Sara’s approval)
On the last night of camp tipsters rarely ever sleep. Between having to wake up before the sun and the realisation that they may never see their fellow tipsters again it isn’t uncommon for restless campers to stay awake all night. While some ‘attempted’ to sneak out of their dorms to spend time with their friends, the girls of Dorm 2 had plans of their own. Earlier that day, Kendall Heath asked the hypothetical question to RC Sara; “If we were to stay up...at what time do you get back from your nightly rounds?” Sara laughed and replied quietly; “2:00am.” And with that the stake out was put into action. Before Sara left for what would become a night of chasing after sneaky campers, she overheard the pitter patter of footsteps and hushed whispers coming from the hallway. Stuffed into a single room were 12 tipsters, their blankets, pillows, snacks, and endless energy. Throughout the night they munched on candy, told scary stories, and watched movies. Their favourite activities, however, were peeking out of the window to laugh at tipsters darting across the dark quad and hearing hourly reports on who had snuck out and how far they got by their RC Sara.
This is the story of the mysterious ‘Saxophone boy’ who was first spotted the second night bellowing low notes from his brass instrument. Tipsters Kendall Heath, Mia Brelsford, Cailee Calabrese, and Anka Oberhelman were sitting outside of their cabin during their nightly free time when the figure first appeared. Hidden in the shadows the girls were unable to get a good view of his face but his music told the sad story of a boy who lugged his entire instrument collection to camp. The next night they awaited the return of saxophone boy but were disappointed when he didn’t show. About two weeks into camp Kendall and Mia were chatting durning their class break when they overheard tipsters Chris (aka Chad) and Ryan talking about Ryan’s musical career. Kendall and Mia spun around in their seats and asked in unison; “Do you play the Saxophone?!” Recovering from the jolt of being yelled at Ryan sputtered; “Yea...” Not daring to ask much more in fear of giving their hopes up Kendall and Mia whispered; “...did you bring it to camp?” Again Ryan answered ‘yes’ and from that day on the mystery of Saxophone boy was no more and all tipsters were able to enjoy nights filled with the sweet sound of music.
Edit not made by creator: "saxophone boy" was not very fun to be in a dorm with when he decided to play it very loudly indoors.
The Shell I watched
Holy frick, For my (Ben) project me and my group (I want to Dye) watched hermit crabs in dyed water to see if there was a change in behavior. Anyways I was in charge of watching and recording the behavior for the control (No Dye), And during trial 1 I had a rather inactive crabbo. I would continuously ask my group if I should check if it is dead, but they wouldn’t let me due to the fact that it might and at the 30 minute mark I was 100% sure this boy dead. I was really sure when at the 30 minute mark because when I dropped food for it(the food) bounced of his shell. At 40 minutes I was sick of watching this shell so I pick it up and this fricker wasn’t even in there( RIP Spike).
The double test day, so on this particular Rainy day we had two tests (the last two thank good) the first test was fine I was used to doing the 45 minute experiment. This days schedule was different since it was raining we went from class straight to evening studies meaning we would do this test pretty much an hour after while also suffering cabin fever (I have no patience). I had a rather dumb Crabbo (love you mermaid man) that just picked at his shelter and clawed at the tank wall, and there is only some many minutes of this you can take. This trial had no excitement like trial 2 barnacle boy climbed on the motherfricking roof of his shelter. This trial also cut into dinner as it was setup a little late, and due to this I lost my sanity just sitting there in silence watching a hermit crab for 45 minutes.
Thanks David for letting us cut it 5 minutes early on the last experiment.
The Tea Behind Tipsync 2019
Tipsync 2019 was a bit different at the marine lab, as campers were only given 5 days rather than the past years 2 weeks, but nonetheless, the performances were amazing and everyone had a great time...
The first group called up to the stage was the "The Churro Chicks" (presumably because of Anka's known addiction to churros), the performers consisted of second and third year girls from D2. They performed "I'll Make a Man Out of You". Instead of walking onto the stage, the campers formed two identical lines on each side of the auditorium, and when the music started the marched up in front of everyone. Facing back to audience, each turned individually on a different count, all still marching. In the performance there are many small solos including Mia's princess impersonation (we think that's what it was, the voice was pretty high), but most notable is Anka's, she takes on the role of the leader and does the most syncing and movement throughout the play. Some of the moves include running around the borders of the auditorium, standing on one leg until she's the only one standing, and some times where many campers cartwheel up and down the aisle. It must also be noted that the group's own RC Sara held up a poster that read "that's not tippropriate" in big red letters when the song sang about swimming which we all know is most defiantly not allowed.
"Sausage", also known as the second year guys (D6) followed up with with a rendition of “hooked on a feeling” and “Dancing Queen”, all while wearing some form of button down/collared shirt. 2nd year students Zach Vinnola, Adrian Kinkley, and Drew Adams led the first section of the performance with choreographed solos, while Jack Simpson, Camilo Nunez, Cooper Wilhite, and Grayson Wood closed it out with some other interesting moves. Everything from the music to the dance moves to the clothes was set up by their leader, RC Jess. Before the performance began, the boys stood in a triangle facing the audience, with shortest camper, Zach at the front. The performance was around 3 minutes long with the performers syncing in and out of different shapes, moving hands, and even a wine reference (shhhh). After the performance the campers sat back down and earned an average applause, but more importantly, chuckles resounded throughout the performance.
After Sausage had taken their seats, Kevin called up the next group. "Duke Drip" was the next group on stage, their mantra, "its a drip or drown world" spread like wildfire amongst the guys of the camp. RC Jordan's 3rd year guys of D4 took the stage. "oh no's", "what the heck's", and "goodness gracious" were moaned across the audience. Two notoriously goofy campers, Jack McMahon and Collin Peltiere wore any type of clothing from clout goggles, to multicolored champion hoodies, all topped with a fanny pack. The performance was amusing, especially with the taste in clothing by the group. Sadly, Jack was the only one syncing while the rest of the group swayed back and forth behind him. At one point near the end, RC Jordan took the stage and synced to "poopity scoop", and while he did he shook Conrad by the shoulders which got one last laugh out of everyone. The Group walked back to their seats, earning themselves a respectable applause.
Next up was the (by far) funniest performance. Taken on by the fourth year guys of D6, and with the help of RC Harper. Ryan Kalo, the notable Sax boy, takes the stage with a grey blazer holding his saxophone. Ben Keubler, one of the main stars is holding a stuffed narwhal, and the rest take the stage as well. Will Wilson is seen drumming on trash bins, Nathan and Miles are slow dancing, which in the end was the reason they were disqualified. All while Ben and the Bope jammed with their stuffed animal buddies. During each sax solo, Ryan would step up and belt it out as if he was really playing. Ben and the narwhal got real into in and by the end the whole group was energetically rocking to George Michael's masterpiece. On the last saxophone solo, ryan takes off his blazer and throws it into the crowd, Nathan and miles finish their final slow dances right in front of the judges table, and Ben rocks up and down the center aisle clutching the narwhal and syncing every word. It was a joyous occasion when the bope reeled Harper onto the stage like a fish. The crowd went wild. The applause was incredible, but the judges looked unamused.
The fifth group (the 3rd and 4th year girls of D3), addressed by Kevin as the "monarch of all monarchs, Ayani and her Dancing Queens", got up from their seats. But instead of walking up to the stage, they all walked straight out of the auditorium. Confusion fell across the rest of the camp. "Where did they go?" one camper said. Suddenly, the intro to "Umbrella" by Rihanna starts playing. The girls (including Ayani) burst out onto the stage from the back door. The campers stood in one line, with their sides facing the audience, facing the door they'd just come in from, and started bobbing up and down. Soon after, they broke into an amazingly choreographed section where they act out each lyric to the song on beat. Madison, a known dancer (she was really good), was seen front and center in a yellow raincoat. Each time the song reached its chorus, the campers picked up their umbrella and moved it up and down, then spun it facing the audience. The colors were spectacular, and the overall performance was a crowd favorite. The audience yelled, clapped, and whistled as the Dancing Queens left the stage.
Last, but not least, kevin brought up the final group known as "Dorm a", the second year girls from D1. By the time they were up, time was against them, the crowd was tired and longed for some free time out on the quad, or simply to be in their dorms again. The group lined up, back to the audience, and "the backstreet boys'" iconic hit, "I want it that way" started to play. Each time a new line played, a different girl would turn around and "sing" it, until each person had done a part, then they all synced it in unison. After that, a camper named Kinsley Tate came forward and synced the purge message, announcing there would be an annual purge. Once she finished, "Kung Fu Fighting" came on and all the girls proceeded to fake kicking and punching until the song was over. Two new campers stepped in front next, and recited a part of a Stanley steamer commercial. By now people were wondering how long the performance was gonna be. The answer was around 8 minutes (Jack told me it was 17). Next they recited a flex tape commercial, a scene from moana where Joann Edwards crawls across the floor on her face, and country roads led by Kinsley Tate and Jane Wright (they're real country). To finish out, Lola Hickey had a jaw dropping flute solo and the group synced old town road. Tipsync had come to an end. Or had it?
It was time for the judges to decide, everyone was excited to see who would be called.
When the final votes were cast there was a three way tie between the boys of Dorm 6, girls of Dorm 1, and girls of Dorm 2. This forced the judges to put the final vote into the students hands, this is where things got a little sticky. Because of the tie each dorm in the final three believed themselves to be worthy of the title of Tipsync Champion, however, when the students’ votes were cast Dorm 6 came out the winner.
Not in the final contestants was Dorm 3 because of their much too ‘hippy’ dance which some say to have lacked ‘TIPpropriateness’. The girls, lead by Madison, were devastated and hence fourth call themselves the ‘true winners of Tipsync’. Dorm 6 boys also lacked TIPpropriateness for their romantic slow dancing with narwhals. (They didn’t leave enough space for Jesus.)
The (Disney) Meg
During the second week of the term, the tipsters gathered together in the auditorium for the first Movie Night of the term in place of Evening Activities. The movie showing was Disney’s Hercules; an animated musical that came out in 1997.
Warning: Spoilers for the movie Hercules below
While the movie started out normal, things started to go sour when the heroine’s love interest made her debut. Megara—also known as Meg—role in the movie was to be Hades’ servant. However, in an attempt to defeat Hercules, Hades tasks Meg with charming Hercules—and when she proves unwilling to continue conspiring against Hercules, he takes her as hostage and agrees to leave her unharmed in exchange for Hercules losing his divine powers.
Because of the role she played in the movie, Meg was proclaimed a thot by the audience, with people even screeching and yelling at the end of the movie when Hercules chose to live with Meg—despite only knowing her for a short amount of time—and shares a kiss with her.
End of Spoiler