Markists are followers and/or believers in the teachings of Mark Harvey.
Markism refers to beliefs held by Mark that he tells his students that they are free to ignore. For a long time, no one knew exactly what Markism is because no one really bothered to write it down. People became Markists because they knew it was something good...something that had to do with loving others and serving others. These are a few principles that have subsequently quoted by former students:
- Find your purpose in life that will one day benefit the world.
- Use your powers for good.
- Seek the truth, induce others to believe in you, and serve others before you serve yourself.
- Eliminate hatred, envy, jealousy, and cynicism from your thoughts.
- Never allow anyone to undermine your self-esteem.
- Try not to get stuck between Iraq and a hard place.
- It is better to be loved than to be right.
- Don't get so married to your ideas you become divorced from your relationships.
- You are responsible for your own feelings.
Former TIPsters who were in Mark's class (or wish they were) often still refer to themselves as "Markists". (Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ExpatriateMarkists/ for details). Notable followers of Mark who were never in his class include Jeremy Mitchell, , , , Jessie Thomspon, Tess Schlaer, Svusch Linkous and many others.