Sam Prevatt is a Duke TIP staff member and former student. He is among the most well-known of staff members, and as of late is a fairly controversial character due to his appearance to many as a strict disciplinarian. He attended three years of TiP, spent several years as a Residential Counselor, and in 2006 became the On-Site Co-Ordinator, or OSC, of the Duke East Campus program. He is one-third of the Trinity, a group of RCs.
- Sam Prevatt attended TIP from 1996-1998 during Term I. In 1998, he roomed with Mark Marvelli.
- Sam Prevatt was one-third of the group known as the Trinity, along with Daag Alemayehu and Mark Marvelli. The three were students together for 1-3 years, culminating in sharing a hall in Term I of 1998. Later, all three returned to serve as staff members. Sam Prevatt was an RC while Daag and Mark acted as TAs and RCs. All three members of the Trinity left in 2004. As of 2006, Daag and Sam are both part of the program, while Mark is working at Texas Intruments.
- Sam was an RC on East campus for several years. His RAG won One each time it was available. Stephen Koren and Mike Sori were two of his TIPsters.
- Starting in 2006, Sam Prevatt is the OSC for Duke East Campus. Due to the coinciding of his OSC-ship and several incredibly unpopular rule changes such as the New Visitation Policy, Prevatt is very unpopular among some TiPsters, and several memorable incidents about him are shared as stories, including a serious, angry calling-out of audience members who laugh during his initial speech. The person called out was released after a light warning due to his honesty. Still, most students and staff members agree that Prevatt is a high step up from the previous OSC, Leighanne, and as TiPsters become familiar with Sam their view of him often improves.
- Actually, I did not notice that prevalent a feeling of dislike of Sam the OSC (East Term II '06), but more of a hatred of the visitation policy itself. Sam was treated to the love/hate relationship expected for any OSC.
- Nothing on this page seems to sufficiently communicate how integral Sam has been to so many years of TiP, and how many Tipsters' lives he changed. Arguably, he is rivaled only by Dr. Kane and Peter Sloan as a bearer of years of TiP tradition and legend. Very few people love Tip as much as he does, no matter what rules short-sighted horny adolescents might hold against him.
In 2010 Sam returned to campus for the last dance (it might have been second). Then Llama Mama Alli Schloeman, having heard tales of him, brought him a glowstick as an "offering" from TiPsters. After the Yatta, Sam told Alli that he yatta'd for her, and it made the dance for her. TiPsters encouraged her to tell him the Oh Sam! joke, but she did not want to be THAT girl.